Monday, March 26, 2012

3rd grade booktalk

Last week, as a 100 third graders walked into a warm multi-purpose room to hear their monthly booktalks, I asked them if they were tired.  They looked exhausted.  The teachers looked tired.  Most yelled YES, with a sparse No...and the teachers shared that the night before they had their spring musical.  

Asking to any who would answer, I asked if it went well.  Of course it did.
I asked if they would sing to me. 
Of course they would.

As they decided to sing "Hang On Sloopy" to me, I stood in front of these amazing kids and listened with teary eyes.  They instantly pepped up and I felt gratitude that they were unfearful in singing.

Of course they wanted to continue singing, but since my purpose in visiting was booktalks I had to change course and start talking books.  I always ask what they are reading before I begin.  I do that with every grade I visit.  And they are always enthusiastic to share what they were reading before I began my discussion.

I booktalked:

The Trouble With Chickens

Heckedy Peg by Audrey Wood

Trouble with Chickens by Doreen Cronin

April Fool's Surprise by Abby Klein

Talk, Talk, Squawk by Nicola Davies

Children's book of Mythical Beasts and Magical Monsters by DK Publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment